7.15.2009

Comment on Dickie's post

Hey Dickie,

I just read your two posts of July. Very interesting. Your writing is precise and engaging. So did you take the offer of your psychopharmacologist (this word would have made Winnie-the-Pooh wonder if you sneezed Twice)? Funny they always seem to be concerned with your sex life. I used to go to a crook-ish psych in New York who used to prescribe mostly effexor (I vaguely remember that we tried Celexa, too, but simply can't remember the outcome, perhaps I rejected it in the end or didn't work for me) for me. He mentioned this standard stuff about sex drive lessened, etc. When he prescribed effexor I asked him how long the effect was going to last. He asked me why and when I didn't say he helped out with some trivial explanation. Of course I asked because of this notorious side-effect. And he wanted to hear about my sex life (or wanted to hear me wonder about my sex life at least), which I refused to do. By the way, I am happy to report that one's libido is definitely not affected after about 24 hours. As far as I know, effexor is the best stuff in the market (sorry, don't remember the generic name).

9 comments:

Dickie said...

Hi Kitty,

I've taken Effexor before, and like all anti-depressants with exception to a very old one called Nardil (MAO Inhibitor) it had no effect on me. Effexor did not cause sexual dysfunction. However Citalopram, the antidepressant I'm taking now for my driving anxiety does in fact cause sexual dysfunction. The only other antidepressant that's ever caused me sexual dysfunction is Nardil.

I also have had an experience with a psychopharmacologist where I felt I was asked an overly intrusive question about my sex life. I did not see why I was being asked the question other than to sate the voyeuristic curiosity of the doctor.

countrygirl said...

Did you take it long enough and a dose high enough? You have to take it for at least a month, I'm sure you know that. Does citalopram alleviate your driving anxiety?

Dickie said...

Yes, Effexor was given a thorough trial. I've only been on Citalopram for two weeks so it's probably too early to tell. I haven't been on the highway since. I actually don't do too much driving on the highway. I am willing to gamble that the Citalopram will benefit me as I've been feeling more mellow. I'm pretty sure it's the drug. I predict that eventually whatever effect and side-effect the Citalopram brings me, it will be eventually erased. I am very resistant to anti-depressant medication. I predict that the sexual dysfunction will go away in 3-6 months like it did with the Nardil and when that happens the drug will no longer help me.

countrygirl said...

Strange. Are you easy to hypnotize? How about the over-the-counter stuff, like St John's wort and the like?

Dickie said...

I cannot be hypnotized. It's been tried. Why do you ask? I don't like worts. They are very unsightly and contagious. I wouldn't want to try any type of wort.

countrygirl said...

I meant the weed: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_John%27s_wort It is widely used to treat depression and anxiety. As for hypnosis, are you a visual or non-visual type? I've read a book on self-hypnosis where it says if you are not a visual type (like 1/3rd of the population), the usual methods might not work on you. Book was written by a woman who is also not visual.

Dickie said...

Kitty, I was just fucking with your head. I know St John's Wort is not the same as a "wart". I don't like taking drugs not prescribed by a doctor. It's just something I don't do. I once bought a book on self-hypnosis. My shrink said why bother with the book? I'll hypnotize you. It didn't work. I don't think I went back to the book. I'm not even sure why I wanted to hypnotize myself then, nor could I think of a reason to hypnotize myself now. I'm a very visual person.

countrygirl said...

Dickie, you cannot fuck with my head without risking being kicked in your ass. From now on do whatever you want with your depression, see if I care. Don't be so high-minded on doctors, they are a bunch of money-hungry crooks. But whatever.

Dickie said...

Kitty, I know I am safe in my respective continent and that you cannot kick my ass. I actually thought that my joke about "warts" would be obvious. The medical profession is pretty horrible, yet far sleazier people are in automotive repair, automotive sales, law, police, and politics. I believe there are honorable doctors, they're just very hard to find.