1.10.2010

Watching films with a poet

The other day I went to a poet's contest with my sister, who is a practicing poet and met C, a historian-scholar-poet whom we had been watching from time to time because of his curious appearance/looks. He always sneaks in places like he doesn't really belong there so he is often mistaken for a homeless guy.

So the other day he sneaked in to this contest, and as we were sitting close to the door and might have been smiling at him he chatted us up. What kind of fairies we are, he wanted to know and we told him we are mountain fairies. Which is pretty close to the truth, as our name means mountain.

Today I went to a movie theater with him where we watched documentaries about recent changes in Hungarian society. Sadly, the poet is fickle - he is a perpetuum mobile. At one point I touched his elbow accidentally with mine as I wanted to put it on the arm of the chair. From then on he turned into a fickle hunter, watching out for more signs, to see if I wanted some physical closeness. For chrissake, I did not! I finally put my bag on my lap, which settled the issue.

In the intermission he suggested we go to a nearby pub to have a drink. We went, and had two spritzers (200ml wine, 100ml soda water), for about 40 cents each. Wow, this guy has some invaluable knowledge of the terrain. I always wanted a friend like this. It turned out he is not homeless after all, even if he smells like one. He rents a room close to my workplace. Ouch. I hope he washes his clothes before he decides to pay a visit to my office...

No comments: